[RDD] Rivendell patch to comply venezuelan law requiring to identify the songs before play it

Fred Gleason fredg at paravelsystems.com
Tue Jan 14 10:50:36 EST 2014

On Jan 14, 2014, at 09:58 42, Lorne Tyndale <ltyndale at tyndaleweb.com> wrote:

> -When track Y is added and cart X is listed in field L in the database,
> then schedule cart X first then cart Y.
>
> I can see the value of having this type of logic in rdlogedit and
> rdlogmanager.  For consistency I could see also putting it into
> RDAirplay (if 2 apps are going to work the same way, when adding carts
> of type Y to the log, then  it is best to have this same everywhere that
> a cart of type Y can be added to a log).

Except that another jurisdiction may require that the announcement come *before* the song.  Or both before and after.  Or that attribution be done in a single announcement for every three songs.  And so on…

This is the slippery slope that results from building policy into a system that should be primarily about mechanism —i.e. getting a log played on-air as specified.  It’s the music/traffic scheduler’s worry (be he human or machine) to satisfy all of the diverse artistic, commercial and political rules about what’s allowed to be played adjacent to what.  That’s not part of Rivendell’s brief.

| Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but |
| when there is no longer anything to take away.                          |
|                                    -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery          |