[RDD] Redundant Hard Drive/Backup

Alan Smith alansmith at flinn.com
Wed Jan 8 18:42:36 EST 2014

Again, THANK EVERYONE.  This list truly is a blessing.  I would be so
lost without all of your help.

Got pulled off working on Rivendell for a bit, but the quick research I
did suggested doing a dd of a live file system is NOT a good idea, and I
don't know why I didn't think of that before.

Someone asked above about our current setup-It isn't really a "mirror"
in the sense of an EXACT copy, but it is mirrored in the sense that on a
schedule in compares all the files on the main drive and copies/deletes
files as necessary on the backup drive to make sure they are a duplicate
in the sense of files.

I don't need an exact copy of the drive.  Just from a Rivendell/Linux
newbie standpoint, it would be a lot easier if I could just pull a
failed drive and turn it back on and be up and running, but so long as I
have the audio library, database, and system specific setups (events,
clocks, grids, etc), then I could at least quickly throw together
another machine and go from there.

Although software raid sounds promising as well.

So now its down to rsync via chron, or software raid...

Thanks again everyone!

-Alan