[RDD] Redundant Hard Drive/Backup

Alan Smith alansmith at flinn.com
Wed Jan 8 13:33:33 EST 2014

It may be a tad early yet, but I am about to the point in my comfort
with Rivendell to start thinking about backups.

I know this may not be the most common way, but we have our reasons, and
I'd like to duplicate this behavior if I can:

Our current automation system [MS-DOS based] contains two non-raid, but
mirrored hard drives.  On a schedule that we specify, it copies the new
files, deletes the obsolete ones, etc.

Is there a way I can do this with Rivendell?  Again, I realize most
people are probably using a central server with a redundant server to
house all station audio, clocks, etc, but I am comfortable with the way
we are set up now.  Besides we have quite a few stations spread out, so
a central file store wouldn't work anyway in most of our cases.

With my very limited knowledge of linux, I thought perhaps running dd
with chron might be the ticket, but coming from a Windows guy, I don't
know how linux behaves when attempting to copy files in use.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Oh, and all my Rivendell installs are/will be based on the Paravel
Appliances.  I have one V1 appliance in the field now, and currently
working on my first V2.

-Alan

PS  We actually had a hard drive die this past Saturday on one of our
DOS stations.  I just simply powered down, unlocked the bad drive from
its removable cage, powered back up, and we were back in business.