[RDD] Fwd: What reliable ALSA cards are you using?

Alan Peterson apeterson at radioamerica.org
Wed Jan 8 09:24:41 EST 2014

>From Rob Landry:

"It's a pity the sound cards built into current motherboards don't have
better specs. If they did, I'd be happy to make my own differential
input/output boards."

And that's really too bad. C-Media, which makes a lot of the audio chips found on mobos, has decent audio specs on a lot of their pieces. So much so that the ASUS folks make a high-end (consumer) PCI-Express card called the Xonar Essence STX, which is built around a C-Media chip. It depends on the PC's CPU to handle the processing, but that's only if you want to use the cartoony features (voice changer, "environmental" ambience and reverb, etc). As a straight-ahead sound card, its pretty good.

There are a lot of companies making those on-board audio chips -- Crystal, VIA, Realtek and others -- some better than others. I agree that the quality of mobo audio could and should be improved.

-ap