[RDD] Fwd: What reliable ALSA cards are you using?

Rob Landry 41001140 at interpring.com
Tue Jan 7 11:36:04 EST 2014

On Mon, 6 Jan 2014, Marc Steele wrote:

> I've done a bit of experimentation at work and only some of the Digigram
> cards seem to have drivers for Linux. The VX222 (v1 and v2) work but don't
> play nice with Rivendell. Even when they do work, they can run into errors
> that require the machine to be rebooted. Other cards like the VX822 and
> PCX440NP don't have drivers so don't work.

I've played quite a bit with the VX222v2, and find that they have driver
issues. These issues persist across various versions of alsa and
alsa-firmware and in every Linux distribution I've tried. I have not yet
tried compiling a custom kernel, including only what I need to support
what I'm actually running. But so far the VX222v2 has not been very
useful under Linux.

> I've also tried a few other options like the LynxTWO. It's got drivers but
> only for OSS and didn't work well with the ALSA<->OSS bridging stuff.

I spent the better part of a week trying to get either the Lynx ONE or
Lynx TWO to work with Rivendell, and gave up.

It's a pity the sound cards built into current motherboards don't have
better specs. If they did, I'd be happy to make my own differential
input/output boards.

Rob