[RDD] Fwd: What reliable ALSA cards are you using?

Marc Steele steelegbr at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 18:10:28 EST 2014

Hello,

Had some older Digigrams which I think were PCX 922s, again good cards and
> still working as new near to the 10 year mark.  Could never get them going
> under linux either.

I've done a bit of experimentation at work and only some of the Digigram
cards seem to have drivers for Linux. The VX222 (v1 and v2) work but don't
play nice with Rivendell. Even when they do work, they can run into errors
that require the machine to be rebooted. Other cards like the VX822 and
PCX440NP don't have drivers so don't work.

I've also tried a few other options like the LynxTWO. It's got drivers but
only for OSS and didn't work well with the ALSA<->OSS bridging stuff.

The Delta range seems to be the way to go from what I've seen (though the
breakout boxes on the 1010s do occasionally develop faults). Another option
is your FreeBOB compatible Firewire interfaces using JACK. We used one of
those with Digiplay (another Linux playout system) when I was in student
radio. I'd assume it all plays nice with Rivendell but I've never tried it
in anger.

Regards,

Marc Steele
Engineer and Program Controller - NHR (Nottingham Hospitals' Radio)