[RDD] Twitter RLM Status?

Frederick Gleason fredg at paravelsystems.com
Tue Dec 30 18:12:30 EST 2014

On Dec 30, 2014, at 17:48 52, Sébastien Leblanc <leblancsebas at gmail.com> wrote:

> Correct me if I am wrong, but if one were to write a Twitter OAuth RLM, the authentication state could be saved in a local cookie, whose path would be determined e.g. by an environment variable. That cookie can then be opened at runtime.

Interesting!  I confess that I am no OAuth expert, but it does look to me to be a rather heavyweight sort of protocol for what it does.  The conclusions that I came to when looking at this back when Twitter made the changes were that an RLM would require either:

1) Building an OAuth implementation into Rivendell, or

2) Depending upon an external library implementation of OAuth.  At the time, there seemed to be no particularly good ones available.  This approach would also mean incrementing Rivendell’s major version number, as it would constitute a change in the system dependencies.

None of this, of course, rules out a third-party implementation if you’re so inclined to develop such.