[RDD] Local Audio Switch

ermina at studioplume.com ermina at studioplume.com
Wed Dec 10 06:34:26 EST 2014

Hello,

> Please correct me if I'm wrong. From what I understand, even with the
> audio present in the line-in of the sound device, it will not
> pass-thru to line-out UNLESS RML-ST was invoked (macro or RMLSend) and
> will be "cut-off" when RML-SN is invoked.

Right. When using a "local audio adapter" switch, the commutation of
audio is done in software by caed.
If you use jack on the audio host, be sure to connect the input of the
card to the appropriate inputs of rivendell.
If you don't use jack, you might want to check in alsamixer that the
line input is correctly selected, unmuted.

I use one of those local audio switch, defined with two inputs and two
outputs. Each input is actually a stereo pair of the two first physical
inputs of the sound card.
These pairs are numbered starting from 1, not 0. (ie. the macro ST 0 1
1! routes this first stereo pair to the first stereo output. SR 0 1 1!
cuts that audio route).

The macro needs to be sent to the host where the audio card resides and
the local switch is defined, not to the host where rdairplay is run (in
case there are two different hosts).
You can check in the syslog of this host that/if it actually receives
the macro.
( "cat /var/log/syslog | grep ripcd" returns something like  "ripcd:
received rml: 'SR 0 1 1!' from 192.168.x.x")

Like Cowboy said, if the sound card is full duplex, it will work
eventually.

. e