[RDD] Back timing

Jay Eames alchamist at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 30 14:48:44 EST 2013

I appreciate the suggestion, but that is, in effect, what we have now. It
doesn't matter what the track is that's played before the hour, it still
might be 5 to 60 seconds of playout before the timed event.

The ultimate goal would be for the playout system to calculate, where
possible, how it can get it to sound right by taking bits off the ends of
tracks to get to the right time, rather than just cutting a track mid way -
if that makes sense?

On 30 January 2013 19:05, ICR Programs <programs at ithacaradio.org> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I feel like a super novice trying to make a suggestion here, given my lack
> of high-level (maybe even low and medium-level) knowledge and experience.
> But, here's our super low tech method for dealing with automated
> programming and variable length carts.
>
> First, we have 3 different events for the top of the hour Legal ID.   We
> use these different clocks based on the variability in a given clock's
> programming length.
> a) Strict -- the legal ID plays right at the scheduled time
> b) short wait -- we set wait until for 1:45
> c) long wait -- we set wait until 4:50
> The long wait is mostly used for all music clocks
>
> Second, we add as a the last clock element an event that picks a cart from
> a group "FILL" which is filler music. All of this is instrumental music.
>
> The idea was that for a clock hour with a variable length program (much of
> our programming is talk, news, analysis that is pre-recorded), the hour
> would be filled out with FILL music until the next timed event, which is
> the Top of the Hour for the next clock hour.
>
> My apologies for the primitive nature of my suggestion, and also if my
> suggestion totally misses the mark of what the original poster needed.
>
> Rene
>

> On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 1:52 PM, Jay Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:

There are 2 kinds of people in the world; Those who can extrapolate from
incomplete data