[RDD] updated to 2.3.0, lost ASI cards

Fred Gleason fredg at paravelsystems.com
Tue Jan 15 21:54:02 EST 2013

On Jan 9, 2013, at 00:36 42, Christopher Cmolik (RIT Student) wrote:

> With our ASI cards we have always had to make sure to recompile the ASI kernel module for either hpklinux or the alsa snd_asihpi driver. Kernel modules are built using the current working kernel's source tree, so it's by default installed to the current kernel version kernel directory (i.e. /lib/modules/`uname -r`)

This was one of the major factors driving our decision to base Broadcast Appliance on CentOS.  The CentOS Upstream Distributor has developed a technology that allows kernel updates to be performed (within certain well-defined limits) *without* breaking binary compatibility with third-party kernel drivers.  As a result, kernel updates on Broadcast Appliance do *not* break the ASI (nor any other complying) driver.  You can find the technical details at:

	http://dup.et.redhat.com/presentations/DriverUpdateProgramTechnical.pdf

|  The primary cause of failure in electrical appliances is an expired    |
|  warranty.  Often, you can get an appliance running again simply by     |
|  changing the warranty expiration date with a 15/64-inch felt-tipped    |
|  marker.                                                                |
|                           -- Dave Barry, "The Taming of the Screw"      |