[RDD] Streaming Troubles with edcast_jack

Wayne Merricks waynemerricks at thevoiceasia.com
Fri Jan 4 05:32:35 EST 2013

Hi,

The darkice problems are likely a mix of things.  Its very likely that
the flakiness was entirely my own fault.

To illustrate my setup is as follows [Broadcast Chain Presented on an
Audio Distributer Amp] -> Sound Card of Some description -> PC running
JACK -> Darkice -> Icecast on the same machine

First of all I was using an old 0.2 version from the Ubuntu repos on
Ubuntu 10.04.  This version died within 48 hours when strung together as
above.

I compiled version 1.something from source and initially thought it was
going great.  It worked fine for about a month and then the stream
started skipping.  So I used cron to restart it every week.

After about 12 months I started having crashes nearly every day at that
point I gave up and looked at liquidsoap.  I'm glad I did mostly for
some of the extra features of liquidsoap (silence monitoring and
triggered events e.g. silence = email me).

I have no idea why darkice didn't work, it may be an Ubuntu thing.  All
I know for certain is the machine was never updated as it was not
exposed to any nefarious people and yet it still seemed to be on a
downward spiral of ever more frequent crashes.

Liquidsoap is currently running on exactly the same machine just with
Ubuntu 12.04 Server and its been fine ever since.

Wayne Merricks
The Voice Asia

On 04/01/13 02:00, Tim Camp wrote:

> sorry to jump into the stream and not be of any help, however I am
> very curious as I keep hearing people saying over and over there
> having trouble with darkice or that darkice works fine and then after
> a while stops working or crashes.
> Reason I am curious about this is I have been running darkice on 6
> different streams for over 2 years and they have never stopped. Could
> it be that the problem is not with darkice but actually with Jack,
> Maybe overruns, Also I think the important question is, Is there an
> audio card involved?, Is alsa involved?, the reason I ask is my 6
> streams which have been up for over 2 years are running dummy in Jack.
> Straight from Rivendell into darkice. Just questions I know, sorry.
>
> On Jan 3, 2013 6:17 PM, "Joseph Matthews" <xcintryx at gmail.com
> <mailto:xcintryx at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     $ ps -u
>     Warning: bad ps syntax, perhaps a bogus '-'? See
>     http://procps.sf.net/faq.html
>     USER       PID %CPU %MEM    VSZ   RSS TTY      STAT START   TIME
>     COMMAND
>     1000      2257  0.0  0.5   7980  5372 pts/0    Ss 12:59   0:01 -bash
>     1000      2970  0.0  0.2   5664  2984 pts/1    Ss 16:29   0:00 bash
>     1000      3047 28.5  8.1 114224 84004 pts/1    SLl+ 16:35  27:46
>     edcast_jack -c
>     1000      3186  0.0  0.1   3876  1052 pts/0    R+ 18:12   0:00 ps -u
>
>     *Joey Matthews*
>     *_______________________________________________
>     Beautiful 97 WRSA-DB*
>     Sparkling music. All day, all night, all the time at
>     http://beautiful97.com/
>
>     On Jan 3, 2013, at 5:23 PM, Cowboy <curt at cwf1.com
>     <mailto:curt at cwf1.com>> wrote:
>
>>     On Thursday 03 January 2013 05:40:54 pm Joseph Matthews wrote:
>>>     How can I tell which user is "running" lame?
>>>

>>     ps -u
>>
>>     --
>>     Cowboy
>>
>>     http://cowboy.cwf1.com
>>
>>     Scrubbing floors and emptying bedpans has as much dignity as the
>>     Presidency.
>>     -- Richard Nixon

#######################
Scanned by MailMarshal
#######################

############

Attention:

The information contained in this message is confidential and intended
for the addressee(s) only. If you have received this message in error
or there are any problems, please notify the originator immediately.
The unauthorised use, disclosure, copying or alteration of this message
is strictly forbidden. Christian Vision or any of its subsidiaries will
not be liable for direct, special, indirect or consequential damages
arising from alteration of the contents of this message by a third party
or as a result of any virus being passed on. Please note that we reserve
the right to monitor and read any e-mails sent or received by the
company under the Telecommunications (Lawful Business Practice)
(Interception of Communications) Regulation 2000. Christian Vision is
registered in England as a limited company 2842414 and as a charity
1031031