[RDD] Streaming Troubles with edcast_jack

Wayne Merricks WayneMerricks at TheVoiceAsia.Com
Thu Jan 3 17:39:37 EST 2013


Hi,

The darkice problem is almost definitely a connection / settings error.  I spent ages going the lame permissions route only to find I'd incorrectly specified the mount point or that the settings didn't match the live365 stream exactly (bitrate etc).  Live365 is odd in terms of its mount settings, I wish I could remember what the weirdness was but I tend to forget the nightmares ;)

Hopefully I can save you some time however:

1.  I've used Live365 for over 5 years
2.  They had problems today and all hell broke loose with streams so wait until tomorrow before you do anything drastic (my support ticket is still unanswered)
3.  Darkice will work but it will eventually crash or go crazy (usually within a month sometimes 3).
4.  If waiting doesn't fix the problem, give up on edcast

Recommendations:

Use liquidsoap in conjunction with jack and icecast

My current machine is a headless Ubuntu 12.04 server with absolutely no maintenance.  Everything auto restarts if necessary and has been running for nearly 6months without a hiccup (not even an auto restart of any component).  To do this set Live365 to relay mode and point it to your icecast server (under the broadcast panel via their web page).

More info on getting all this working available here:

http://pastebin.com/u/MezzFA0

Regards,

Wayne


-----Original Message-----
From: rivendell-dev-bounces at lists.rivendellaudio.org on behalf of Patrick Schmalstig / WRRJ Radio
Sent: Thu 03/01/2013 21:16
To: User discussion about the Rivendell Radio Automation System
Subject: Re: [RDD] Streaming Troubles with edcast_jack
 
Okay. In that case it may be a problem with LAME. I heard sometimes it's a
permissions problem... that LAME needs to run as root and for whatever
reason LAME is not running as root.

Sorry if I sounded snappy when I said my question wasn't answered.

If it is a problem with LAME, possibly it's what's affecting edcast_jack as
well with the incorrect buffer sizes? Just for quirks... have you tried
setting buffer to 513 (haha if it's even possible)?

On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 4:11 PM, Joseph Matthews <xcintryx at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm sorry! Yes, I did check and re-check the config. Everything appears to
> be in order.
>
> *Joey Matthews*
>

#######################
Scanned by MailMarshal
#######################

############

Attention: 

The information contained in this message is confidential and intended 
for the addressee(s) only. If you have received this message in error 
or there are any problems, please notify the originator immediately.
The unauthorised use, disclosure, copying or alteration of this message
is strictly forbidden. Christian Vision or any of its subsidiaries will
not be liable for direct, special, indirect or consequential damages 
arising from alteration of the contents of this message by a third party
or as a result of any virus being passed on. Please note that we reserve
the right to monitor and read any e-mails sent or received by the 
company under the Telecommunications (Lawful Business Practice) 
(Interception of Communications) Regulation 2000. Christian Vision is 
registered in England as a limited company 2842414 and as a charity 
1031031  

############
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: application/ms-tnef
Size: 6002 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://lists.rivendellaudio.org/pipermail/rivendell-dev/attachments/20130103/8d87cec6/attachment.bin 


More information about the Rivendell-dev mailing list