[RDD] Pulseaudio dropping from JACK connection list

Wayne Merricks WayneMerricks at TheVoiceAsia.Com
Thu Sep 27 17:01:50 EDT 2012

When JACK is not running in realtime mode its quite strict about things that talk to it, if for example pulse can't keep up with JACK it will get the boot to stop causing problems.  You can make it be more lenient by adding --softmode to the jackd alsa command line options.  Having said that pulse is a bit iffy with JACK especially as your uptime increases.

As for liquidsoap and JACK its not too hard as long as jack is running as a non-root user (liquidsoap doesn't like root access, it moans and won't start for you).

I've got a pastebin liquidsoap config for JACK, liquidsoap and icecast:

http://pastebin.com/ziNEKF03

Its a bit more involved than just JACK + Soap but the main parts are:

# Get the input from JACK
liveStereo = (input.jack(id="liquidsoapstereo"):source(2,0,0))

This will add soap to JACK as a stereo input with the port called liquidsoapstereo.  Then output is just:

#Provide Output to JACK for monitoring purposes
output.jack(liveStereo, id="soapstereo")

You can then do a couple of system calls to use jack_connect to tie up the connections as required e.g.:

#Connects System Capture 1 + 2 to liquidsoapstereo in 0 + 1
system("jack_connect system:capture_1 liquidsoapstereo:in_0")
system("jack_connect system:capture_2 liquidsoapstereo:in_1")

As for the JACK + Soap install itself I've got an install readme:

http://pastebin.com/Hs7pg5s2

Its basically just one apt-get:

sudo apt-get install jackd1 liquidsoap liquidsoap-plugin-jack

As you have pulse audio you have to remove the liquidsoap pulse plugin otherwise it will connect to pulse audio and never directly to JACK:

sudo apt-get remove liquidsoap-plugin-pulseaudio