[RDD] A New Audio Hardware Question

Alan Peterson apeterson at radioamerica.org
Fri Sep 21 12:01:55 EDT 2012

Much has been posted here regarding Rivendell and USB-type audio interfaces ("interfacii"?).  Is there any consensus regarding FireWire-type boxes?

I'm seeing where an M-Audio ProFire 610 - with 4 analog Ins and 8 analog Outs - can be obtained for about $150. Two of those four inputs are on mic pre's, so voice tracking can be done bypassing the console and going directly "into the box".

The price isn't far off from what a preferred M-Audio 1010 or Delta 44 would cost, and there are some features we might consider irrelevant for now (MIDI I/O for one). But audio specs are enviable and it could be one more valid choice offered to users who "roll their own".

But it's FireWire. Is it compatible/feasible?  Thanks.

-AP