[RDD] RD networking machines

Gregg Wonderly gergg at cox.net
Mon Sep 17 16:14:38 EDT 2012

On Sep 17, 2012, at 11:34 AM, Wayne Merricks <waynemerricks at thevoiceasia.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My understanding is probably completely wrong on this so I'm not
> surprised at the "won't somebody think of the children" response. I
> honestly don't know enough about the linux "domain" stack to have a
> better judgement but seeing as he mentioned there were 2 Windows boxes,
> it seemed like the obvious/only way to go (samba).
>
> I'm always unfortunate to be building mixed OS "domains" but would love
> any clear info on pure nix network setups with single sign on etc.
> Especially if theres a nix way of doing things with open ldap/kerberos
> auth that I can feed to Windows machines.  Open LDAP is a necessity from
> what I can tell as I need replication across WAN links to different
> offices that aren't always reliable.
>
> Its something I've been struggling to get to grips with for quite a
> while now.

With Linux, the right path for authentication is to use PAM services.  There is PAM support using LDAP and other interfaces into Windows Active Directory, and countless other authentication mechanisms provided by vendors into the Linux arena.  One of my customers used this to bring authentication over to my servers running Java applications.  I wrote a Java login module that used JNI to talk to PAM, and I could then authenticate the users of the app using their Active Directory services.  In distributed environments, being able to "turn off" access for a user, the day you walk them out the door, is a big deal.

Gregg