[RDD] Can't import audio - Invalid URL]

Gregg Wonderly gergg at cox.net
Thu Sep 13 10:22:18 EDT 2012

The practical issue, from my perspective, is that there are "server" processes running in the background which are managed by the "service" interface.  Practically, I really think that a better choice would be to run and manage those processes from the foreground.  If the "GUI" is really the control point of the platform, then a foreground process should really manage everything about the runtime environment for the play out machine.

It's really hard to manage "multiple" processes reliably.  The lifecycle is disconnected from apps which don't have a common parent process.  The runtime "user-id" becomes an issue that is also visibly frustrating to deal with.

When "multi-threading", was not generally available, multi-programming was the paradigm of choice.  But now that multi-core is everywhere, and multi-threading is available, it seems like it might be time to reconsider embedding the services into a single, foreground app so that the user experience is "consistently" the same.

Gregg Wonderly