[RDD] PCI-Express Sound Card / PCIe GPIO

Alan Peterson apeterson at radioamerica.org
Thu Oct 18 09:28:27 EDT 2012

An exchange I started here on Aug 15-16 addressed some USB matters, with Rob Landry stating, "I have never found Rivendell to run reliably with any USB audio device. It will work for a couple of weeks, then it will stop working until the machine is rebooted."

I've stopped actively considering USB devices since then. A pity too -- mini-ITX motherboards with minimal slots would look a whole lot more attractive to the DIY'er if USB functionality had more sock.

But then, a lot of one-slotters can be fitted with a 2X or 3X PCI riser card, so you *might* be able to use a GPIO and decent audio card after all. I just haven't tried.

AP