[RDD] Upgrading a networked Rivendell installation

Wayne Merricks waynemerricks at thevoiceasia.com
Tue Oct 9 07:16:43 EDT 2012

I've not messed with CentOS but to keep things simple (and in my mind
not overloading the server even though I know its not stressed), I put
apache on everything.

Heres the basics:

Install as if you're doing a standalone setup.  Test it works.

If you have problems always check http://localhost/rd-bin/addcart.html
(which is the default debian/ubuntu location).

If you get an HTML form and can import songs via rdlibrary/rdimport
you're good to go for the server.

On the server, just install NFS sharing with MySQL and export whatever
directory will be /var/snd with appropriate permissions.

Add the server share to each workstation via fstab.

Amend /etc/rd.conf to point to the server mysql database.  You'll
probably have to allow remote connections and what not as most installs
restrict MySQL to local access only by default.

Run rdadmin and it will connect to the server creating the
databases/tables etc.

Once this first machine is done, you just have to add the hosts to the
db for each new machine, amend /etc/rd.conf and obviously mount /var/snd.

I went one step further and installed Rivendell on the headless server
(without any GUI e.g. gnome) just so that I could use rdimport via samba
shared dropboxes.

Libexec should point to your apache document root/rd-bin.  Its slightly
different for Ubuntu because you're meant to install it to /usr/local
and then use apache confs to expose the directory to the outside world
via rd-bin.

The main thing to remember is that you need to have the rd-bin.conf in
the apache conf directory with the path names correct for wherever your
rdexport.cgi and other files are.

Wayne Merricks
The Voice Asia

On 09/10/12 05:12, Rob Landry wrote:

> Where is libexec supposed to point on CentOS 6? Is it /var/www/rd-bin?
> Or /var/www/html/rd-bin?
>
> A complication is that the workstations are running CentOS, but the
> server is running Debian, and under Debian it is /var/www/rd-bin. But
> the workstations won't talk to the Apache on the server; there's no
> compile option, nothing in rd.conf, nor anything else I can find that
> will make them talk to any Apache but their own.
>

> Rob
>

> On Mon, 8 Oct 2012, Wayne Merricks wrote:
>
>> Can you navigate to http://localhost/rd-bin/addcart.html?  Does it
>> 404 error?
>>
>> It still sounds like some random permissions/apache problem.

Scanned by MailMarshal