[RDD] Rivendell choosing ALSA over AudioScience

Fred Gleason fredg at paravelsystems.com
Mon Nov 26 10:27:56 EST 2012

On Nov 26, 2012, at 10:03 47, Joe Makowski (RIT Student) wrote:

> I'm a relatively new engineer here and am trying to upgrade our workstations to fresh installations of Ubuntu 12.04 and Rivendell 2.2.0. We have AudioScience cards and currently have AudioScience HPI 4.10.15 drivers installed. Ubuntu reports the driver as installed and active, but not currently in use. In the Audio Resources window of RDAdmin, the AudioScience HPI driver is reported to be "not active" and RD is instead going with ALSA for its output, much to our dismay. Executing 'sudo asihpitest' will successfully play out a sine wave, which seems to suggest that the driver is working correctly. Does anyone have any tips for making Rivendell recognize that the driver is indeed active?

A couple of things to check:

1) At the end of the ./configure run when building the software, the system will print out a list of which audio architectures will be built.  You want to be sure that 'AudioScience HPI' shows up as 'Yes'.  Also, be sure that you are building against the same version of the driver that you will be using at runtime.

2) To verify that the driver is actually loaded, do:

	grep asiphi /proc/modules

You should get back something like:

	asihpi 1119275 1 - Live 0x0000000000000000

If you get back nothing, then the driver isn't loaded.

|  Some people say a front-engine car handles best.  Some people say a    |
|  rear-engine car handles best.  I say a rented car handles best.        |
|                                          --P.J. O'Rourke                |