[RDD] Multiple studios

Wayne Merricks WayneMerricks at TheVoiceAsia.Com
Sun Nov 25 08:07:08 EST 2012

Assuming you were using a switcher or something to that effect that Rivendell supports theres nothing stopping you doing what you want to do (Switching studios etc).

Sustaining play out I assume you mean silence detection?  There is not any silence detection built into Riv but you could use Silent Jack or Liquidsoap to handle that (I prefer liquidsoap as silent jack confused me).  The radio guys still seem nervous about using PCs for silence detection though.  They prefer dedicated hardware and it does make sense if you can afford it (completely isolated from other points of failure etc).

As for remote contributions, I assume you mean hourly slots uploaded/mailed in for use on air?  You could setup a Riv drop box on an FTP server which uploaded to a specific cart, its not something I've done so there may be some gotchas along the way.  Off the top of my head there may be a need to manually set the air dates/times so you don't get yesterdays upload playing out today.

-----Original Message-----
From: rivendell-dev-bounces at lists.rivendellaudio.org on behalf of Rivendell Steve
Sent: Sun 25/11/2012 10:42
To: User discussion about the Rivendell Radio Automation System
Subject: [RDD] Multiple studios

Hello,

We've been using Rivendell as a sustaining playout system in the past and
it's proved to be very reliable and flexible.

Currently we have one studio, with its own playout system (currently not
Rivendell) simply used for live programmes.

We have a second playout system (again not Rivendell) which also feeds the
main desk. This runs the pre-recorded programmes, sustaining service, etc.

This all works well and we can switch the sustaining playout live to air,
bypassing the desk, to enable the single studio to do pre-recs, etc.

We're now constructing a second studio and then overhauling the first one.
We're planning to switch to Rivendell as the sole playout system. I have a
Rivendell machine serving the second studio (currently under test) and a
separate network server for MySQL, /var/snd and running the web based
services (running rdxport, etc.). This all works fine.

My aim is to have three playout systems. One for each studio and a third -
a kind of master control - handling the playing of pre-records, sustaining
playout, remote contributions, etc. So the master control would follow the
main schedule, switching the studios live, playing pre-recs, etc.

Is this possible with Rivendell? Is this the best way to achieve what we
want to achieve? I'd be very grateful to here how other people handle
multiple studios, pre-records, etc.

Many thanks,

Steve.

#######################
Scanned by MailMarshal
#######################

############

Attention:

The information contained in this message is confidential and intended
for the addressee(s) only. If you have received this message in error
or there are any problems, please notify the originator immediately.
The unauthorised use, disclosure, copying or alteration of this message
is strictly forbidden. Christian Vision or any of its subsidiaries will
not be liable for direct, special, indirect or consequential damages
arising from alteration of the contents of this message by a third party
or as a result of any virus being passed on. Please note that we reserve
the right to monitor and read any e-mails sent or received by the
company under the Telecommunications (Lawful Business Practice)
(Interception of Communications) Regulation 2000. Christian Vision is
registered in England as a limited company 2842414 and as a charity
1031031