[RDD] Broadcast appliance startup question

Gregg Wonderly gergg at cox.net
Sun Nov 18 16:19:46 EST 2012

Yes, the system/sendmail is performing a "reverse DNS" lookup from the "main" IP address to a host name, so that sendmail can properly address email that flows through it with the correct "host name".  So, you either need a working DNS response for the associated IP Address, or your need to populate the /etc/hosts file with a proper mapping that will allow sendmail to startup and function.  There are several reasons that sendmail is needed for even local admin, so I'd recommend that you not disable it, and instead provide the appropriate DNS information or populate /etc/hosts.

Gregg Wonderly