[RDD] (no subject)

Geoff Barkman countryradio at gmail.com
Thu May 31 19:27:19 EDT 2012

Hi Rene
When I set up RRAbuntu with Frederick Henderson and Alban, I put a
text editor command line file manager in called Midnight Commander
(type mc from a command prompt). I use mc for editing my serverlist
file listed below. I'm looking at moving to a new RRAbuntu with
Rivendell version 2.1.4 in it but currently battling with the newer
Ubuntu desktops (I don't like Unity). I looking at the LXDE desktop on
Lubuntu. But may have to start with Ubuntu and remove Gnome and add
LXDE. The Lubuntu 12.04 isn't a LTS (Long term support version),
whereas Ubuntu 12.04 is a LTS version.

When you install podget...
sudo apt-get install podget
it create a hidden folder called .podget The dot at the front means
its a hidden file.
By default in the .podget folder there is a file called serverlist.
You can comment out all the server names in there or else it will
download all the programs listed in there. (Just put a # at the start
of the lines)
And add a line....

http://www.democracynow.org/podcast-stations.xml democracy

When you issue the command from a command line.
/usr/bin/podget -s
It will download all of the podcasts list on the xml and save them in
the "democracy" folder in the "POD" directory.
The serverlist file for podget can have any URL for rss feeds listed in there.
http://URL_Of_Server.rss Directory_To_Save_Downloads_In

Here is my script that runs with crontab to invoke the podget
command... I run it 2 or 3 times a day till the new show downloads.

#!/bin/bash

/usr/bin/podget -s

mv /home/USERNAME/POD/democracy/*.mp3 /home/USERNAME/dropboxes/democracynow/

Many thanks
Geoff Barkman.