[RDD] Timed log events and live sports events

Dave B. info at dbickford.com
Sun May 20 14:39:29 EDT 2012

Most of our program providers will send an "end of game" tone. But
here's the issue. Most ID's and bottom of hour breaks for regular
satellite programming get a Hard Time to help stay in synch in case we
miss a break tone or whatever. Now, let's say we have a baseball game
scheduled from 2pm-5pm. At 5pm we are scheduled to join Fox Sports.
Let's say our baseball game goes into extra innings or otherwise goes
past 5pm. The hard start at the top of Fox Sports would dump out of the
game or a Make Next later in the clock would position the log
incorrectly. We could eliminate the timed events in the first hour of
anything following live sports, but then we'd run into another problem.
Let's say the game goes to 5:20pm. The log would be sitting on break #1
of Fox Sports, but in reality we should be waiting for break #2. Without
a timed event of some sort in that hour the log will be in the wrong
spot indefinitely. Does that make sense, or are we making this more
difficult than they should be?

I know one could use a macro to start the log at a certain line. We
could possibly use that in conjunction with the "end of game" contact
closure.

Sometimes our programming is too complicated to automate 100% so we have
someone log in remotely to tweak thing things at game transitions or
some other difficult moment. I don't see why we couldn't continue to do
that with Rivendell if absolutely necessary. But the less manual
intervention, the better!