[RDD] CVS vs GIT [WAS: Rivendell accross multiple monitors]

Fred Gleason fredg at paravelsystems.com
Fri May 11 13:48:45 EDT 2012

On May 10, 2012, at 13:50 18, James Harrison wrote:

> Little bit OT: How about getting Rivendell 3.x in Git/throwing it up on Github?

I agree with you in principle.  However, at the moment we're at a place that is sort of reminiscent of the old vaudeville act:  the guy with the tableful of spinning plates that he all keeps going simultaneously.  Specifically, we've got *two* active branches going (Head and v2_branch), which still have a fair amount of cross-porting going on between them.  *Not* a time to be changing out as fundamental a piece of the development infrastructure as the version control system!

Perhaps when v3.x goes beta, we can do this.

> CVS is now old enough that I have issues installing it on most distros I use... :-)

Really?  Which distros are that?  I've used CVS on easily a dozen different distros over the years; with one exception, it's always 'just worked' out of the box.  (The exception was Slackware, which needed $CVS_RSH to be exported before the 'ext' method would work).

|          "No, `Eureka!' is Greek for `This bath is too hot!'"           |
|                                              -- Dr. Who                 |