[RDD] Streamdata (Song titles) to a shoutcast server

Wayne Merricks waynemerricks at thevoiceasia.com
Fri May 11 08:11:59 EDT 2012

You're better off running a script with nohup taking charge of the command.

nohup basically means the process will keep running after the terminal
is closed (or your ssh session has ended).

e.g on start up run:

nohup command_to_run > path_to_file_to_save_output &

This should make the command run in the background with all output
logged to the file specified

Wayne Merricks
The Voice Asia
0121 522 6080

On 10/05/12 22:17, Geoff Barkman wrote:
> May be there is something wrong to the process running in the
> background with an ampersand (&) ?
>
> If you wanted to get rid of the terminals and still run it the way you
> do. Bring up the non-graphical login screen on Ubuntu run one process
> on ALT-CTRL-F2 and the other on ALT-CTRL-F3. To return to the
> graphical environment hit ALT-CTRL-F7 (where your Rdairplay is
> running)
>
> On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 11:42 PM, Tom Dawson<Tom at tomdawson.co.uk>  wrote:
>> Not really a solution, but it has been working for us for nearly 3 months
>> now :) Also on Ubuntu 10.04 with 1.72 here... I just leave two terminal
>> windows running in the background - one for streamupdate.sh and and I
>> manually start the netcat process with settings in the other, for example:
>>
>> netcat -k -u -l 6868>  /home/user/streamdata/song.dat
>>
>> It's not especially elegant as there's a two terminal windows there, but
>> most of our presenters only use RDAirplay anyway so it isn't an issue for us
>> at present.
>>
>> Come to mention it, I was testing this on another machine the other day, and
>> netcat did die for me whenever it was launched from a script. I.e. it would
>> save one title update to the song.dat file but would then end. Thought
>> nothing of it as I was just experimenting, but could be an issue with
>> ubuntu/netcat maybe?
>>
>> I seem to remember Fred G mentioned something about RLMs for now/next data,
>> does anyone know if RD 2.X RLMs will work with 1.72? Or am I just being
>> daft?
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> Tom Dawson
>> FANTASY RADIO
>> www.fantasyradio.co.uk
>>

>> On 10/05/2012 12:32, Geoff Barkman wrote:
>>> I've been following the instructions on the Rivendell Wiki.
>>>

>>> http://rivendell.tryphon.org/wiki/Streaming_from_Rivendell#Icecast2.2FShoutcast_Meta_Data_from_Rivendell
>>>
>>> I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 with Rivendell 1.72
>>> But netcat dies after a few mins of sending track titles to a shoutcast
>>> server.
>>>
>>> I've modified as per the instructions...
>>>
>>> NOTE: If you are using Ubuntu 10.04, due to changes in the netcat of
>>> this version, you'll have to change the options passed to "nc" in the
>>> "song.sh" file. Change
>>>
>>> netcat -l -u -p $port>    $songdat&

>>> netcat -k -u -l $port>    $songdat&
>>>

>>> Anyone else had this problem and how did you solve it?
>>>
>>> Many thanks
>>> Geoff
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>> Tom Dawson
>>> Fantasy Radio
>>> www.fantasyradio.co.uk

#######################
Scanned by MailMarshal
#######################

############

Attention:

The information contained in this message is confidential and intended
for the addressee(s) only. If you have received this message in error
or there are any problems, please notify the originator immediately.
The unauthorised use, disclosure, copying or alteration of this message
is strictly forbidden. Christian Vision or any of its subsidiaries will
not be liable for direct, special, indirect or consequential damages
arising from alteration of the contents of this message by a third party
or as a result of any virus being passed on. Please note that we reserve
the right to monitor and read any e-mails sent or received by the
company under the Telecommunications (Lawful Business Practice)
(Interception of Communications) Regulation 2000. Christian Vision is
registered in England as a limited company 2842414 and as a charity
1031031