[RDD] Rivendell accross multiple monitors

James Harrison james at talkunafraid.co.uk
Thu May 10 13:50:18 EDT 2012

Having a more flexible interface for rdairplay/rdpanel (and maybe other
tools) with pluggable modules, maybe some generic ones (display image
refreshed periodically, display result of command rerun periodically,
script tray for show/log+current song notes, extra meters etc), all of
which could be dynamically swapped out depending on station or presenter
requirements? Just have a button next to that area which lets you pick
from the available modules.

Of course, making the entire UI flexible in this way would be very neat.
It would probably require significant refactoring to pull out specific
stuff from rdairplay to a public API, but the results could be great -
primarily vocal shows could have their main log next to a big script
window, music shows can have their main detailed log next to a button
panel and an aux log for playing hooks etc... lot of work, but the
payoff could be huge.

That, and I suspect I'm not the only one who reckons that a bit of an
overhaul of the Rivendell GUI wouldn't hurt. (Well, maybe it'd hurt
Fred, but... :-)) It does all look a bit tired and a pretty face may not
have significant technical benefits, but it does help a lot when trying
to convince management etc.

Little bit OT: How about getting Rivendell 3.x in Git/throwing it up on
Github? CVS is now old enough that I have issues installing it on most
distros I use... :-)

Cheers,
James Harrison

On 10/05/2012 15:22, John Anderson wrote:
> I don't like complicating Rivendell with a bunch of other clutter...as
we can see, just about everyone has a different thought on what works
for them...

> (I like the ability to put liner cards and stuff up, some people want
promo copy, etc)...

> what could really be interesting is a window, that you could run other
programs of choice...I saw this with some bbs software years ago, you
could basically "drop to dos", and then run anything you wanted, the
program would then display the program to the caller on the other end of
the modem)... we don't need to go that far, but if there was a window,
that could be assigned at will, everyone might be happy???

<rivendell-dev at lists.rivendellaudio.org>
> *Sent:* Thursday, May 10, 2012 10:14 AM
> *Subject:* Re: [RDD] Rivendell accross multiple monitors
>
> I would suggest adding the ability to monitor inputs to Rivendell or
the sound card. In our current system setup we play out tracks through
rdairplay into our mixer then record back into the computer and send the
audio to the encoder (darkice) using jack. It would be nice if you could
select an additional channel or channels to monitor as a visual cue to
the host that their audio is making it back into the system, and at a
proper level.