[RDD] broadcast appliance mysql troubles.

nathan.steele at thecrossfm.com nathan.steele at thecrossfm.com
Mon Jun 27 11:08:53 EDT 2011

This appears to have replaced the mysql-administarator program :
http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/workbench/5.2.html

However I cannot figure how to install it. I try to download the Redhat version
(because CentOS is Redhat, right?), so it says save file or open with installer
(or something like that). try to open with the "installer" and it comes up with
errors, lots of missing dependencies. Isn't it supposed to just automatically
install the dependencies?

So I gave up, reinstalled the server, copied my files and database back over but
this time I did not restor the database. I  was going to try it as-is out of the
box.

I could log into the mysql with root and a null password. good.

Now the first step in the instructions I have is to replace host name localhost
with % so that any host can connect. no problem, I enter the mysql commands as
stated. ok.

next step is to edit mysql.conf to creat some logs. did that.

Next go to workstation and try to connect to mysql through telnet. ok
and try to connect tot he server from the mysql command line on workstation, ok.
now configure rd.conf on workstation to point at the server  (i have tried the
hostname here and the ip address)
Launch rd admin, I get the prompt to login to my sql to build the database.
nothing works here. not root null, not rduser letmein, nothing.

with root and null, says invalid password and I never changed it......

login to mysql on server through command line on workstation with root and null,
works ok. set password for root to password, ok. go back to server and try to
log in as root with password, won't let me in.  Now I am back where I was last
week, unable to do anything. at least it only took me a half hour to get there
this time (my skills are improving.....hah!)

Not sure why this is not working  server and workstation running CentOS
broadcast appliance with default settings except I have setup hostnames and ip
addresses. Seems like this should be easier with 2 stock installs....what am I
doing wrong?

Did  replacing local host with % screw me over? seems like that is when I could
no longer login to mysql on the server.

On June 24, 2011 at 4:11 PM Nathan Steele <nathan.steele at thecrossfm.com> wrote:

> > Keep in mind that mysql is mysql regardless of the distro.
Sure, got that.

> > If you can install and run mysql-administrator on your server you can then
> > add each workstation and username into mysql.
I tried but was unable to figure out how, in ubuntu it was sudo apt-get install
mysql-admin, or something like that, but I tried command line and gui (add
remove software ) in CentOS with no luck, so i fell back on the command line
instructions.

> [...]

> > happened in all of your trials is that mysql access is granted not only by
> > username and password but by host as well.
> > If you can install and run mysql-administrator on your server you can then
> > add each workstation and username into mysql.
> > Keep in mind that I can give rduser access on local host but rduser will not
> > have access from any other host unless it is granted access from that host.
> > In my plant wide system all workstations access mysql with the same user
> > name and password as defined in /etc/rd.conf but the ip address or a range
> > of ip addresses must be given permission in mysql-server to access the
> > database. I hope that makes sense. Before you start all over, make sure you
> > have mysql username and password set to something in rd.conf on each
> > workstation, then use mysql-admin to grant that user access to the rivendell
> > database from each work station ip address.
> > there areThree levels of access to mysql username and password, host,
> > and catalog (ie rivendell) or database.
> > I can give access to rduser from one ip address and no other or access to
> > just one database and no other or from any ip to any database but they are
> > all seperate settings from username and password.
> > Hope I haven't confused you more.
> > Cheers
> >

> > On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 2:29 PM, Nathan Steele <nathan.steele at thecrossfm.com
> > [mailto:nathan.steele at thecrossfm.com] > wrote:
> >

> > > I had a system on RRAbuntu, exported the database from rdadmin to a usb
> > > HDD, and copied the carts from /var/snd to the same HDD.
> > >
> > > Installed the broadcast appliance fromt he disk I got from fred, CentOS
> > > based.  I guess this automatically sets up mysql and all of that.  Idid my
> > > initial updates, and then I opened up rdadmin and imported my old database
> > > from the USB HDD, and copied my carts to /var/snd on the new install of
> > > centos.
> > >
> > > I had some problems then relating to host's, see my emails from yesterday
> > > if you need to know about that. got it resolved and then today started
> > > trying to get my workstation to connect to the database on the server,
> > > following instructions on the WIKI, but they are mostly ubuntu based i
> > > guess and not exactly the same line for line so I'm trying my best. all
> > > seemed well until trying to get into mysql and no passwords would work.
> > > telnet to the server returned access denied. I found some instructions to
> > > reset the password in mysql, did so and set it to rivendell for user root
> > > (just like rrabuntu) and then telnet lets me in but rdadmin says can't
> > > connect to mysql database with that u/n & p/w.
> > >

> > > I am afraid I've monkeyed around with it so much I've got it all screwed
> > > up now and may have to start over with a fresh install, but I really don't
> > > want to do that. I've started from scratch several times now, and have
> > > deadlines approaching.
> > >
> > > by the way I do have playout working from the server so the database isn't

<fieldset></fieldset>
Rivendell-dev at lists.rivendellaudio.org
[mailto:Rivendell-dev at lists.rivendellaudio.org]

Rivendell-dev at lists.rivendellaudio.org