[RDD] Broadcast appliance 2.0.2 questions.

Cowboy curt at gwis.com
Thu Jun 23 17:31:04 EDT 2011

On Thursday 23 June 2011 04:46:32 pm Nathan Steele wrote:
> Makes sense. but I should not have to use local host, correct? obviously
> all of my machines cannot be local host and I had hoped to give the
> somewhat more descriptive names.

> Thanks all for your patience with a stupid windows convert ;)

 The word is ignorant, not stupid.
 Ignorance is easily cured through education.
 Stupid, not so much.

 In fact, yes, every machine can be localhost ! Every machine *is* localhost !
 ( note localhost and not local host )
 localhost is the reserved name that points the machine to itself,
 just the same as the entire reserved 127.x.x.x IP block.
 Any 127.x.x.x points the machine to itself, but each can have
 a different host name, so the machine can know and find itself
 by many names. ( Sybil ? )
 By convention, localhost carries the IP 127.0.0.1
 By convention. It still must be defined in the hosts file.
 Unfortunately, there are some applications that do not resolve correctly.
 MySQL being one of them, hence the need to refer to the local machine
 by some other name, and pointing to something like 127.0.0.2 on stand
 alone systems not on a network.

--
Cowboy

http://cowboy.cwf1.com

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and, whatever you hit,
call it the target.