[RDD] Why does ripcd run system maintenance routines?

Bill Putney billp at wwpc.com
Fri Jun 17 05:56:14 EDT 2011

Geoff,

The audio is shared over NFS. The other client works fine. It could be a
problem with the NIC card in the air studio client playout computer. Yes
I let memtest86 go through it's complete cycle and it didn't find
anything. I'm wondering now if there is a disk error somewhere. Maybe in
the swap partition.

It's not that the automation stops, it's that the computer spontaneously
reboots itself. Nothing in the /var/log files that I can find where it's
complaining. It's just happily playing out a log then *poof*! the screen
goes black and the next sign of life is a BIOS startup screen.

I wouldn't suspect anything to do with the automation except maybe a
corrupted file that sends Ubuntu off so far in the weeds it can't find
it's way back.

I haven't been able to find a tool that will build a ram resident OS so
I can fsck the system drive safely. It could be motherboard or power
supply too. It started this afternoon and has not been able to run more
than about an hour between crashes. I just don't have the tools to
figure out what exactly the problem is. Right now we're running fine
from the automation client in our production studio.

Bill