[RDD] Store audio data in MP2 or flac?

sedwards at xmission.com sedwards at xmission.com
Sun Jun 12 08:02:30 EDT 2011

Hello,

I've determined that storing the audio data in .wav files isn't going
to work for us.  I was thinking of changing to .flac files so I've
Googled and looked around and as far as I can tell (for example from
this thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/rivendell-dev/browse_thread/thread/8120b25653310396?pli=1) that .flac isn't supported?  But Mpeg Layer 2
is.

I am not familiar on the specifics of MPEG Layer 2.  And after reading
the Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-2) I am even
more confused.  So does it mean Rivendell uses MPEG-2 Part 7, which is
AAC)?  Apart from supporting more channels (5.1) what are the
advantages over MP3?  I'm assuming higher quality?  What are the bit
rates?

There is some possibility we will have a Terrestrial FM signal in the
future, so we wanted to stay away from limiting ourselves to MP3.  On
the other hand we had a meeting with someone currently running one of
the larger local Internet stations in this area and he claimed that
128 Kbps MP3 is better quality than a standard analog FM signal.

I would be willing to do try to add .flac audio storage to Rivendell
myself, but I have no idea how big a job that is.  My thought was to
look at what was done for MPEG Layer-2 and do the same thing for flac.

Does everyone believe that MPEG-Layer 2 is high enough quality for an
FM signals?

Thanks,
    -Scott