[RDD] dual sound cards and jack

Frederick Henderson frederickjh at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 16:58:37 EDT 2011

On Wed, 01 Jun 2011 22:09:47 +0200, John Gough <johncgough at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thanks for the replies.  Sounds like 2 cards is two much work for me. I
> got my hands on a 1010 and am happily up and running.
>
> Best

Hi J!

Actually it is not that hard to do. No sure what all the talk about
syncing is unless you want to play back multi-track recordings or
something like that.

jackd can only be started with one sound card this is true (or a network
audio interface called netjack or the dummy interface, etc.) After that is
up and running you can use  the commands:

alsa_in

and

alsa_out

to add the inputs and outputs of the second or more sound cards.

If you use Jack Control to start jackd you can put the commands that you
figure out that work to set all this up into a script then in the Jack
Control>Setup>Options> check "Execute script after Startup" and enter your
script to start the 2nd, 3rd and etc. soundcards.

More info on the alsa_in and alsa_out commands can be found by running the
following in a terminal:

man alsa_in

Greetings,

Frederick Henderson