[RDD] More Sound Card Questions... ASI5111 voice tracking input? and Delta 44 on RRAUbuntu?

Fred Gleason fredg at paravelsystems.com
Thu Mar 25 18:15:49 EDT 2010

On Thursday 25 March 2010 04:59:41 pm Frederick Henderson wrote:
> I am just wondering as a while ago I setup a test Rivendell machine with a
>   run of the mill sound card and never did figure out how to set up the mic
> input to be used with the voice tracker.

Basically, it's a mixer issue.  For JACK and ALSA devices, RD doesn't
interface with the soundcard mixer at all; configuring Mic or Line inputs on
those setups is a matter of using the standard ALSA mixer apps (amixer or
alsamixer).

The situation with ASI cards is a bit different.  The mixer in those cards is
controlled by means of the special HPI interface (part of the ASI driver); as
such, RD manipulates it automatically.  So, to make the mic input work, RD
would need to set the card mixer appropriately; the code to do this currently
doesn't exist.  To be perfectly honest, I hadn't even noticed that the
ASI5111 had a mic input until you brought it up in this thread; I may look
into adding this support in a later release.

| Epperson's law:                                                         |
|        When a man says it's a silly, childish game, it's probably       |
| something his wife can beat him at.                                     |