[RDD] Feature requests following our successful broadcasts

Robert Baker robert.baker at radiohw.co.uk
Wed Jun 23 08:55:05 EDT 2010

Hi all,

Firstly a thank you to all who have written Rivendell and have helped
get our installation working. We've just finished our broadcasts for the
year and Rivendell has worked very well for us. Our station manager,
presenters and technicians have been praising Rivendell and how easy it
is to use and how stable it runs. Whilst my station manager was
initially reticent of Rivendell at first, he recently told me that we
made the right decision in switching to Rivendell and thanking me for
pushing him in that direction!

In using Rivendell, it is clear that we're not using the full power of
the system and that is something we intend to do moving forward. However
there are one or two additional features that would make life a lot
easier for us if they existed. These are items that have arisen from
using Rivendell in a live situation and have come from our presenting
and technical teams.

Our situation is that we are a UK based radio station operating for only
part of the year under a restricted service license. That means we have
an overly enthusiastic, but very much amateur team that needs supporting
for their predominantly live broadcasts. I appreciate this is a wish
list and I'm not expecting you to do any of these. However these would
make a real difference to how we use Rivendell and I thought you might
find some feedback useful:

1) Stopping realtime search returning a full dataset when only 1
character has been entered. We had to turn off realtime search and it
was missed. I recall this has been discussed on this forum before and
this is in reference to that discussion.

2) It would really help us if the logs out of RDLogManager could be
broken into 1 or 2 hour logs. That way a presenter can edit the logs
that are relevant for them without impacting other presenters. I can
immediately think of many ways of achieving this. A config option to
specify the size of auto generated logs would be wonderful or a per
clock rather than per day logs is another. Alternatives for us would be
a function to split a log into two separate logs at a specified point,
inserting a chain to to make them join up. Or another possibility would
be some way that changes in RDLogEdit were saved immediately and
autorefreshed in other instances of RDLogEdit on other PCs. That way we
could live with 1 day logs and have several people edit different parts
at the same time.

3) The ability to copy and paste logs would be useful.

Thanks,

Robert Baker
www.radiohw.co.uk