[RDD] Usb console ports

Fred Gleason fredg at paravelsystems.com
Fri Jul 30 10:57:36 EDT 2010

On Friday 30 July 2010 06:22:51 am Gary Hodder wrote:
> We are looking at getting a new console for our station, one I am
> looking at is the Paradyne 2300xl with the usb 2302 module.
> Will the 2302 usb module work with Rivendell, is using a usb module in a
> console a good or bad road to go down?

Do you have a link for some info about this?  Google isn't bringing up much.

> What's a good recommended console that allows remote switching of some
> of its slider/modules? but needs to be under 10k.

There are two basic approaches for doing this: 'old school' and 'new school'.
For the old school method, you need a console that provides the ability to
remotely control and monitor the fader on/offs by means of GPIO (most
consoles aimed at the broadcast market offer this, but many intended for
recording or other non-broadcast use do not).  Then it's just a matter of
wiring those GPIO lines to a Rivendell system.  This approach has the
advantage of flexibility: it really doesn't matter what type of console is
being used so long as the requisite GPIO remote functionality is present.
The downside is cost and complexity: you need GPIO hardware for the Rivendell
system, plus all the physical wiring to interconnect the two.

The new school approach is to make the whole thing virtual; instead of a slew
of physical interfaces and wiring, the remote functionality is accomplished
by means of data messages sent through the TCP/IP network (or possibly USB,
though I am aware of no broadcast products at present that work that way).
This can dramatically reduce complexity and cost, but it means that Rivendell
must understand the control protocol used by the console in question.

At present, there are three console 'families' that Rivendell knows how to
interface directly with in this manner.  They are (in alphabetical order):

Axia LiveWire (http://www.axiaaudio.com)

Logitek Audio Engine (http://www.logitekaudio.com)

Sierra Automated Systems (http://www.saaudio.com)

| Epperson's law:                                                         |
|        When a man says it's a silly, childish game, it's probably       |
| something his wife can beat him at.                                     |