[RDD] Using a 2nd Hard-Drive and Changing Groups Questions.

sjm sjm.mlists at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 18:02:31 EDT 2010

On 07/28/2010 01:53 PM, Kevin Miller wrote:
> Cowboy wrote:
>>> You can't have a
>>> /var directory on both drives.
>>
>>  YES you can !
>>  Because they are in different mount points, they will
>>  have different paths. That makes them totally separate and
>>  distinct to the system, but confusing to humans.
>
> Really?  How would you do that?  (I not talking about a link at this
> point in the conversation.)  I'm also presuming that disk 2 is already
> mounted.  Since he has an installed system already I'm envisioning that
> / and /var are located on /dev/sda in some manner.  Maybe a single /
> partition or maybe /dev/sda1, /dev/sda2, etc.
>
> It would be instructive to know how you could also have / or /var on
> /dev/sdb.  In my scheme I mount the 2nd drive as /local.  One could, of
> course, have a /local/var/snd but that's not what's being described.  If
> I already have a / partition on sda it escapes me how I could also have
> it on sdb.

Slightly off-topic, but instructional.

You're both right--because you're talking about different things.  You
can have /var on separate physical drives (or even partitions), but as
you stated, after they are mounted on the system, the system only has
one actual /var (from the drive/partition mounted on /) with the other
one being a sub-directory from where it's mounted.

The system can only use one /var at once, but actually can have more
than one and can be a "gotcha" for someone newer to linux.  I can have a
/var partition on one disk/partition and then mount another
disk/partition on /var on top of the first.  There are actually two /var
directories, but only one visible, accessible, and usable.

sjm