[RDD] /usr/local prefix: is there a way to modify it?

Danny danny at aercomm.net
Sun Jul 18 12:53:13 EDT 2010

Sébastien Leblanc wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 08:23, Cowboy <curt at gwis.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sunday 18 July 2010 02:01:29 am Sébastien Leblanc wrote:
>>
>>> Hi!
>>> I would like to install Rivendell directly into /usr using the makeinstall
>>> script. Is there a particular reason to install Rivendell into/usr/local
>>> instead of /usr? -- Sébastien
>>>
>>  The same reason most folks would not install into /dev  !
>>  Convention.
>>
>>  You can put any application anywhere you like, but there are
>>  "standard" conventional locations, and the reason for the entire
>>  directory hierarchy.
>>
>>  By installing someplace non-standard, you will ( of course ) lose
>>  most of the support related to paths, permissioning, and such,
>>  or the common problems easily solved.
>>
>>  By convention, /usr is not an application install location, but is
>>  a "top level" directory in which subdirectories exist to keep
>>  things organized in a conventional manner.
>>  You can install anywhere you like, but that leaves you on your own
>>  as far as any and all problems that may result, now or in the future.
>>
>> --
>> Cowboy
>>

> Neither on Fedora nor on Arch Linux are applications installed in /usr/local...

Applications under the control of the distro's package management system
(RPM, DEB, etc...) are located under /usr.

/usr/local is intended for applications not under package management.
IE: Compiled from source.

FWIW, I've been using a program called checkinstall to handle
installation of applications that I compile from source. After your code
has complied and you're ready to do a "make install", instead do
"checkinstall make install" and checkinstall will track what files are
copied, and where, by the "make install" process. It will then create a
.deb package file that is tracked by your package manager, as well as
can be copied to and installed on another system. If you insist on
installing to /usr, I highly recommend using checkinstall.

As far as building Rivendell to install to /usr, pass the --prefix=/usr
parameter to ./configure like such:

./configure --prefix=/usr

-Danny