[RDD] Latency and xruns [WAS: RD 2.0]

Fred Gleason fredg at paravelsystems.com
Thu Jul 8 10:56:40 EDT 2010

On Thursday 08 July 2010 09:51:22 am you wrote:
> How the parameter PeriodQuantity can affect the latency and the xruns? What
> it does?

That value sets the buffer size (in PCM frames) which the DSP engine inside
caed(8) will use when processing audio (both capture and playout).  The
larger the buffer size, the longer the latency.  Think of it in terms of
granularity -- smaller buffers mean finer-grained control over things like
playout starts.  There's a danger with smaller buffers though -- as the size
shrinks, the number of times per second which the code needs to execute that
processing increases.  All OSes have a limit beyond which they will not be
able to schedule that processing reliably.  When that happens, the result is
xruns -- the system can't keep up, so data is lost, resulting in audible
clicks, pops and other nasty artifacts.

The distinctive feature of the 'hard' realtime OSes that Cowboy likes to talk
about is that they offer a *guarantee* that a certain process can be
scheduled within a certain period of time.  It's not necessarily that it's
*fast*, but rather the fact that it's *predictable* ('deterministic' is the
buzzword used by software engineers) that makes a hard RTOS so valuable for
implementing certain types of solutions.

Linux is not a hard RTOS (neither is Windows, OS X nor any other 'general
purpose' OS).  The best it can do is 'soft' RT, which is basically a 'best
effort' sort of thing; even that requires using a preemptive kernel and
careful system tuning.  This is why ASI cards can deliver significantly
better performance here: each of those cards actually has a separate computer
processor onboard, running a true hard RTOS, that is totally dedicated to
processing audio.  As a result, the card's internal DSP core can operate with
very small mix buffers, hence giving very good (low) latency.  That's also
one of the reasons why those cards are so expensive.

In the ALSA/JACK realm, we're not so fortunate; we end up having to emulate
all that using the main computer CPU.  Linux is not hard RT; that means
larger buffers, hence more latency.

The bottom line on all of this is something I've said many times over the
years: the JACK/ALSA drivers can be very useful for many roles in Rivendell,
but for an RDAirPlay system that you're putting on the air, buy an ASI card.
You won't regret it.

| Like the ski resort of girls looking for husbands and husbands looking  |
| for girls, the situation is not as symmetrical as it might seem.        |
|                                        -- Alan McKay                    |