[RDD] RD 2.0

Cowboy curt at gwis.com
Thu Jul 8 09:51:13 EDT 2010

On Thursday 08 July 2010 09:01:44 am Fred Gleason wrote:

> *All* is not a realistic goal: CPUs are inherently sequential devices, so
> no pure software solution will be able to achieve this.

 With the possible exception of a true real time system.
 Of course, those not used to *true* real time will be exceedingly
 annoyed by the apparent lack of responsiveness ( where a frozen
 GUI means nothing other than the RT routine is running ) and
 likely by the minimum hardware requirements. ( lots and
 lots of RAM, for instance, and real fast CPU's plus the idea that
 anything with a hard disk can't, by definition, be *true* real time )
 ( well, it can, sorta, but takes even more RAM, and l-o-n-g
 relative deadlines )
 (( hey, if the deadline is next week, even Windows can be RT ))
 :)

 I'm with Fred on this. Reducing the "error" to the point of
 unnoticed insignificance is more realistic, and should be
 far more acceptable to the average user.

--
Cowboy

http://cowboy.cwf1.com

Of what you see in books, believe 75%.  Of newspapers, believe 50%.
And of TV news, believe 25% -- make that 5% if the anchorman wears a
blazer.