[RDD] RD 2.0

Rob Landry 41001140 at interpring.com
Thu Jul 8 07:48:22 EDT 2010

On Thu, 8 Jul 2010, Aaron wrote:

> Re transition/segue delay, to clarify our use/environment I'm referring to
> the next audio event (from CUT START marker) instantly starting at the
> current events SEGUE START marker.  When I last  checked out RD six months
> ago (DB and audio on playback pc, using M-Audio sound card and on board
> sound), there was a varying delay/gap when segueing - perhaps in the order
> of 50-150ms.  This may not be an issue for some stations, but can sound
> loose/disjointed in our format, and would presumably introduce cumulative
> timing errors in cleanly filling local windows in network feeds, etc.

In my World Classical Network project three years ago I had to deal with
this. I built ten Rivendell machines to replace satellite receivers at a
radio network that was being converted to an Internet-based
store-and-forward model. Essentially, each affiliated station got a "black
box" -- a Rivendell machine -- to replace its satellite receiver. The
Rivendell machines contain copies of the network music library and fetch
voice tracks and daily logs over the Internet once a day. To the
affiliate, who still runs his commercials and other local content on
whatever system he had before the change, there is no perceptible
difference (except the audio quality is somewhat better); the Rivendell
box fires his local breaks via contact closures just as the satellite
receiver used to do.

However, the segue delays drove me nuts, especially as they vary from
system to system. At the end of the day one station's box may be running
two mintes early while another's is right on time. I had to modify my
music scheduling software to include a "fudge factor", then incorporate
strategically placed 1- or 2-second pauses in order to live with the
problem. But becuse the format is classical music we can live with it and
I haven't had any complaints.

Still, it would be nice to be free of it.

Rob