[RDD] Older AudioScience Card Recommendations/Caveats

Frederick Henderson frederickjh at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 16:59:38 EST 2010

On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 21:40:46 +0100, Michael Crawford <plugspark at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thanks for the info, Seth.
>
> All, If I do decide to spring for something in the ASI6xxx series,
> should I expect these cards to be supported reliably?  I know some of
> them are now listed as obsolete by AudioScience, but should I expect
> something like the ASI6122 to be supported in Rivendell for the
> foreseeable future?

Hi Michael!

I think you are asking the wrong question. The question is how long will
Audio Science keep supporting them? They have already dropped support for
the series 4000 cards due to unsolvable hardware incompatibilities with
some modern motherboards.

> Thanks,
> Michael
>
> On Fri, Feb 9, 2001 at 9:42 PM, Seth Stevenson
> <programdirector at mountaingospel.org> wrote:
>> Hi Michael,
>>
>> Just a couple of tips from my woes at trying to install a 4344 card. I
>> worked many hours with Frederick Henderson, to try to get this card to
>> work on RRAbuntu. We never did get it to work. Maybe it is possible, but
>> no one on the list had any answers as how to do it, so I don' t think
>> that is a good option.

So far in trying to helping others, asking for help on the list, searching
just in general for how to compile Audio Science cards modules for Ubuntu
on the internet, I have not found one person who has or knows how. Anyone
want to speak up and prove me wrong? I would make me and many more happy.
This is my experience for both the older drivers and the newest as well.
You have already heard from Seth on the older cards/modules. See Issac
Benacourt's email to the list titled "[RDD] ASI5211 ----- [Half Solved]"
for a case of the struggles with a newer card/module on Ubuntu.

http://groups.google.com/group/rivendell-dev/browse_thread/thread/2ecaff6e8bce2f44

Info for those that want to try on Ubuntu.

This post says stay away from 64 bit OSes.

http://ubuntu-ky.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1253164

For older drivers for the series 4000 cards see the wiki page. I works on
Suse but so far not on Ubuntu.

http://rivendell.tryphon.org/wiki/Compiling_Audio_Science_Drivers_for_older_ASI4215,_ASI4300_series_that_are_not_supported_in_the_newest_versions

Also, this piece of advice from Audio Science support about using the
older drivers:

"We no longer support ASI43xx with driver updates.
You are trying to use an old card and driver with a new kernel.

Your options are
and functions this driver uses. E.g. Ubuntu 8.04 with kernel 2.6.24
* Compare the 3.08 driver source with our current (4.04) source and update
it yourself to work with your new kernel"

This Ubuntu forum post suggest that

"The installers that Audio Science supplies are in their scripts looking
for Mandrake or Suse architecture. I've tried building around this, but
everything seems to go wrong in the make file."

>> Of course ASI does not support the 4344 card
>> either, so I don't think that helps. I was able to get it to work on the
>> Suse 11.2 distro by Tim Camp. Search the list for info about his distro.
>> The major problem here was that it is using a higher hpi that the one
>> that worked with the 4344. We finally had to uninstall the 4.0? driver
>> that was on Tim's distro and install the 3.08.06 hpi driver. That worked
>> with particular card and distro. Whether you use Tim's cd or not,
>> probably Suse is going to be your best bet for one of these older cards.
>> I will have to look, but I think we had to use the patches as well, but
>> maybe that was when we were still working on the RRUbuntu. Hope this
>> helps!

Tim Camp's SUSE CD is you easiest install for setting up the Audio Science
drivers. If you do not like the FVWM window manager then install Gnome for
a more Ubuntu like look.

>> Seth Stevenson
>> WMTC RADIO
>>

>> On 12/27/2010 5:30 PM, Michael Crawford wrote:
>>> Does anyone have experience using older AudioScience cards with the
>>> latest production version of Rivendell running on RRAbuntu,
>>> specifically the ASI4111, 4215, 4334, or 4344?
>>>
>>> Are there any of these that I should avoid at all costs or which will
>>> be difficult to get working with Rivendell?  Is the patch for the 42xx
>>> and 43xx series described in the Wiki reliable, or should I expect to
>>> encounter problems getting anything but the 45xx and 46xx series
>>> working?  Any of these that are easier to get working than others?
>>>
>>> The reason I ask is that I'm debating whether I want to switch to
>>> using MP2 instead of WAV as I'm already hitting the wall even with a
>>> 2TB HDD, but we can't really afford the 45xx or 46xx cards or
>>> switching to a proper SAN with a larger capacity.

Not sure what you have for CPU power and how long you can wait but, the
2.0 version of Rivendell includes the ability to change your music library
to MP2 without an ASI card. THIS is your easiest option to go to a
compressed library.

Greetings,

Frederick Henderson