[RDD] RDLogEdit on Windows XP can't create/delete logs

Jake Tremper jtremper1 at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 22 15:59:25 EST 2010

Frederick, thanks for your input on this! Unfortunately, I've tried your suggestions and I am still where I was when I started.I'm starting to think that it may have something to do with using Rivendell 1.7.2 on Linux and 1.7.2-1 on Windows, because of the partial functionality that I have when using XP. If it were MySQL permissions, I probably wouldn't have full functionality in RDLogManager like I do. Yet, I still have those greyed out buttons in RDLogEdit.I looked on rivendellaudio.org download & archive download sections, but didn't see a Win32 package for just 1.7.2 (as opposed to 1.7.2-1). Does anyone know where I could find that? I'd like to give it a try just to see if it helps.Any other thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...project deadline is right around the corner! [Don't you love when this kind of stuff gets scheduled around the holidays? :-p]Thanks again for the help!JakeOn Tue, 21 Dec 2010 20:05:30 +0100, Jake Tremper <jtremper1 at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Frederick,
>
> Thanks for the quick reply! I see on the top of the RDLogEdit window
> "Host:windows, User:[Unknown]">
> Can I set the host & user in rd.ini? I took a look, but I'm not sure how.
>
> Thanks,
>
> jake

Hi Jake!

I just check my test setup and it works fine. I also have the
"Host:windows, User:[Unknown]" at the top. I do not know of a way to set
the user in rd.ini I did not find anything in the rd_sample.ini  There are
only two thing I can think of that could be the problem.

1) You need to create the windoze hosts on the main Rivendell machine. Go
into RDAdmin>Manage Hosts>Add> Give the name of the new host and for "Base
Host On:" select the name of your main Rivendell host. Click OK. Set the
IP Address of the remote host. Set the Default user.

You might want to try changing the Security Model and see if that changes
anything between User and Host

2) MySQL permission problems. MySQL permissions are not set per user but
per user, host combination. Check that the rivendell mysql user for your
windows boxes has all permissions but GRANT.

See this wiki page about stetting up remote MySQL access.

http://rivendell.tryphon.org/wiki/Remote_Client_Access

> On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 15:29:28 +0100, Jake Tremper <jtremper1 at
> hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> Hello,
>> I have a nicely-working networked Rivendell setup, and the time has come
>> to set up log-editing capabilities on some Windows XP work stations. I
>> have installed the Rivendell Win32 binary version 1.7.2-1 on Windows XP
>> Service Pack 3. On my playout machines, I am running Rivendell 1.7.2 on
>> Ubuntu 8.04.4 kernel 2.6.24-28-generic.
>> RDLogManager works very well XP, but RDLogEdit seems to be missing some
>> functionality. The following buttons are greyed out along the bottom:
>> Insert Cart, Insert Meta, Edit, Delete, Up Arrow, Down Arrow, Cut, Copy,
>> Paste
>> I can *change* existing carts in logs on XP that were created on the
>> Linux machines; I just can't do any other log editing in XP.
>> I haven't done any additional set up for the XP workstations in RDAdmin.
>> I just put the DB/shell account info into rd.ini on the XP. Is there any
>> additional setup that I am missing? If not, is there a recommended way
>> to troubleshoot this issue?

I missed this a bit the first email. I am not sure what all you put in
your rd.ini

[Identity]
; This section is used to define the default shell account used to
; run the Rivendell modules.
Password=letmein
AudioOwner=rduser
AudioGroup=rivendell

[mySQL]
; The connection parameters for the MySQL server.
Hostname=localhost
Loginname=rduser
Password=letmein
Database=Rivendell
Driver=QMYSQL3

You need to have these all matching your /etc/rd.conf on the main machine
except Hostname=, that should be set to the name of the main machine.

The two passwords are used for different purposes. If you do not have a
Password= in the [Identity] section add one. It is used between networked
Rivendell machines to authenticate.

I hope this helps!

Frederick

Rivendell has an irc channel for help, question and discussion too.
#rivendell on irc.freenode.net

--
Frederick Henderson

Take the pledge!
http://www.emailetiquettepledge.com/take-the-pledge

This email sent from Opera's revolutionary e-mail client,
http://www.opera.com/mail/
and typed on the Dvorak keyboard. http://dvzine.org

Want to learn a new language the way you learned your first?
Try LingQ for free!   ==>       http://www.lingq.com/?referral=frederickjh