[RDD] Breaking News

Robert Jeffares jeffares.robert at gmail.com
Sat Dec 4 15:29:01 EST 2010

bit of experimenting and fast learning  and I came up with this ..

there is no real need to blank the cart if it is not being played but it
covers against any accident. one remote user has managed to freeze the
system twice now, and all I can track and trace is it happens when he
logs in but, jock that he is, he can't remember what he hit, just that
it didn't work! Bullet proof is good.

cron is set to call this script every 8 minutes on my system

this is run as superuser because a number of users may load files.
Remote Access to the dropbox which is behind 2 firewalls is port shifted
passworded and not advertised.

the news file is called 'breaking' and may be wav ogg or mp3  the blank
1 sec is called 'silence.wav'

thanks for the comments and suggestions.

enjoy

Robert Jeffares
Big Valley Radio [Now! With Breaking News!]
Thames
New Zealand

--------------------------------------start-----------------------------
#!/bin/bash

#Test if the file exists otherwise cart silence because no rml to delete
cart or cut
if [ -f   /path/to/dropbox/breaking.* ]

then
#if the file is there is it still being loaded thanks Frederick J H
      lsof  /path/to/dropbox/breaking.* &>/dev/null

      if [ $? -eq 1 ] ;

      then

rdimport  --to-cart=breaking news cart --delete-cuts
--normalization-level=-7 --delete-source GROUP
"/path/to/audio/file/breaking.*"

rmlsend --to-host=localhost --to-port=5858 "PX 1 breaking news cart!"
#needed the quotes to get it to work in bash on SUSE 10.2

       fi

else
#if there is no breaking news cart 1 second silence. Yes the rml play
next should only happen if there is a fresh cut to play but this covers
any errors.
rdimport  --to-cart=breaking news cart --delete-cuts
--normalization-level=0 NEWS "/path/to/dropbox/silence.*"

fi
exit 0