[RDD] Installation on Ubuntu 10.04

Frederick Henderson frederickjh at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 16:54:16 EST 2010

On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 22:34:45 +0100, Geoff Barkman <countryradio at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Yes Alban Peigner (appologies to Alban if I misspelt your name). Has a
> Blog all about it. That is where I got the original idea for
> installing on Ubuntu from. Frederick Henderson made the fantastic
> scripts and the rest is history.
> Alban's Blog is at
> http://blog.tryphon.org/alban/archives/2009/04/19/quick-start-for-rivendell-on-debianubuntu/

Hi Benjamin!

I think that there are two things that are not on Alban's blog that would
apply to installing 10.04.

The first is disabling pulseaudio.

http://rivendell.tryphon.org/wiki/Ubuntu_-_No_sound/sound_card_in_Rivendell_after_setup

The second is the sometimes it works on boot up some time it does not, but
after boot finishes and the daemons are restarted it always works. This is
related to the newly utilized upstart startup system that they started
using way back with Dapper but not until 10.04 did they move a lot of
stuff to it. See my blog post for a link to a new startup script I wrote
that I hope will solve this problem.

http://frederick.henderson-meier.org/2010/09/24/testers-need-for-rivendell-start-up-script-on-ubuntu-lucid/

Any feedback on the script and if it solves the problem would be
appreciated.

You could also take a look at the
/etc/skel/Rivendell/RRAbuntu-First_run.sh  script on an RRAbuntu installed
system. There is lots of good stuff in there. I think I commented most
everything we were doing.

Greetings,

Frederick Henderson

Rivendell has an irc channel for help, question and discussion too.
#rivendell on irc.freenode.net