[RDD] Replicators [WAS: Rivendell 2.0.0beta0]

Fred Gleason fredg at paravelsystems.com
Thu Aug 19 14:59:41 EDT 2010

On Thursday 19 August 2010 10:44:35 am Axiom Radio wrote:
> I have been trying, among other things (like remote AND local sound
> simultaneously), to get Rivendell to have RDAirPlay in one machine with no
> soundcard and having the CAED in another server with a soundcard and get
> the RDAirPlay to use the soundcard in the CAED machine, would this be
> possible in Rivendell 2.0?

Not quite.  We still have the shared memory segment for meter data, requiring
that caed(8) and RDAirPlay be on the same system.

The replication system is intended for doing things like synchronizing two
audio stores (perhaps remotely located via Internet), at least one of which
is a Rivendell system.  At present, there is just one replicator implemented
(used for interfacing with X-Digital's satellite copy-replacement system),
but the generic hooks now exist in the code to implement pretty much any
replication scheme with a minimum of effort (including Rivendell-to-Rivendell
replication, handy for things like maintaining a hot-standby system at a
transmitter site in case of a catastrophic outage at the studio).

|  ...one of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that,    |
|  lacking zero, they had no way to indicate successful termination of    |
|  their C programs.                                                      |
|                                            -- Robert Firth              |