[RDD] var/snd backup

Cowboy curt at gwis.com
Fri Aug 13 09:47:37 EDT 2010

On Thursday 12 August 2010 02:35:21 pm sjm wrote:

> Then it wouldn't be "/var/snd".

 On the client machine. Correct.

> What gave me pause was the statement:
> "when I switch over I will only have to change the ip address in fstab."

 Also correct, sorta.
 Not the way I'd do it, but it can work.

>  If you're only changing the ip address, that would seem to imply that
> both would be "/var/snd" (one overlaying the other?).

 No.
 On the play-out machine, server1 is normally mounted on /var/snd
 by referencing its IP.
 When server1 dies, you then mount server2 on /var/snd
 In both cases /var/snd on the play out machine is just a mount point.
 As far as the play out machine is concerned, there is one and only
 one /var/snd.
 Sometimes it contains the contents exported from server1, and
 sometimes it contains the contents from server2.
 If it was me, when nothing was mounted there, it would contain
 some kind of emergency content that is invisible whenever anything
 is mounted there, but not completely empty when nothing is
 mounted.

--
Cowboy

http://cowboy.cwf1.com

"I'm all for computer dating, but I wouldn't want one to marry my
sister."