[RDD] CD ripping

Andrew Widdowson apw at kzsu.stanford.edu
Wed Sep 23 14:17:09 EDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 8:38 AM, Cowboy <curt at gwis.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday 23 September 2009 10:49 am, Dave B. wrote:
> >  Hi all,
> >  I have a problem ripping CD's.  Not sure if it's a Rivendell issue or an
> >  OS issue. When I open up Rip CD in the Library it takes several minutes
> >  to read the disc and display the tracks (if it even reads the disc at
> >  all). It doesn't matter what CD I use. During this time none of the
> >  buttons or other controls on the form are responsive and I can't close
> >  the window. The HDD activity LED on the computer is lit the whole time.
> >  If I open the CD in a music player the disc is read right away.
>
>  You're describing a hardware failure, so do you mean that
>  the music player is the same hardware, on the same machine, in
>  the same OS ??

I don't think this is a hardware failure; in fact, I suspect that the HDD
LED is a red herring. The display thread (if the code is multithreaded) is
blocking.. but on what? It might be interesting to run the ripping app
through strace to see what syscalls are being made just before the lockup.
If I had to guess, I'd blame the CD TOC lookup routines. How quickly do they
fail? Does it retry and if so, does it retry as fast as possible, at a
regular frequency, with exponental falloff, or some other design?

-Andrew