[RDD] Playing VT's in separate logs RCS style

Fred Gleason fredg at paravelsystems.com
Wed Sep 9 15:55:26 EDT 2009

On Wednesday 09 September 2009 03:39:05 pm you wrote:
> You know, we could add a reference count to each VT cart, start it at
> one and delete only when it hits zero.

Yes, that occurred to me.  It would fix the 'orphaned log' part of the
problem.

> If there was then the ability to insert a voice track with a known cart
> number either from the scheduler or directly then this would I think
> just work.

Unfortunately not, because the data needed to construct a custom transition is
split across *two* events: part in the 'ending' event, and part in
the 'starting' one.  Changing that would require a major refactoring of the
VT system while presenting some thorny edge cases.  I think I'd rather get a
root canal...

|      The First Rule of Program Optimization:                            |
|               Don't do it!                                              |
|      The Second Rule of Program Optimization (for experts only!):       |
|               Don't do it yet!                                          |
|                                        -- Michael Jackson               |