[RDD] Meters vs. dBFS(?)

Cowboy curt at gwis.com
Tue Apr 21 01:59:48 EDT 2009

On Sunday 19 April 2009 05:33 pm, Gavin Stephens wrote:

>  Excuse my clarification, I need to make sure I've got this understood right.
>
>  So if the card driver and/or Rivendell is designed for -16dBFS (Rivendell
>  meters aside) and I bump the output up 4dB for -20dBFS via RDAdmin, does
>  that mean a peak at -4dBFS then becomes the same thing as 0dBFS as far as
>  the card/ASI driver (not Rivendell) is concerned and anything higher will
>  distort? Or is there still that 4dB extra of headroom left?

 If we assume FS= -16 then bumping up means FS= -12, not 20.
 Remember those + and -.
 Then, remember that peak to average is, on average, about 6 to 9 db.
 You've very little left for any transient.

>  I only ask this because I've noticed in Linux, 100% mixer volume on my
>  domestic sound card is FAR louder and distorted than the 100% in Windows (I
>  only have it around 75% in Linux which sounds the same as 100% in Windows).

 What's the Igain and PCM settings for each ?

--
Cowboy

http://cowboys.homeip.net

Malek's Law:
	Any simple idea will be worded in the most complicated way.