[RDD] Password

Michael mbarnes at srnradio.com
Mon Apr 13 15:32:36 EDT 2009

On Sat, 2009-04-11 at 19:14 +0100, Gravity FM wrote:

> I have no interest in using software Raid in Linux. Lose the O/S lose the
> Raid

Shouldn't be a problem with a proper installation.

> > You're welcome to use Windows as a central server if you want.  Not sure
> why you'd use NFS instead of SAMBA for access to the drives, but >that's up
> to you.  Linux Magazine had a nice series of articles the past few months on
> setting up SAMBA though, so if you haven't already built your
> > Windows box you might want to give it a try.  I'm presuming you're hitting
> the server with Windows clients.

No Windows, no need for Samba.  NFS mounts a wide variety of
filesystems.

> Nah, other way around. Linux workstations to run RD - Central Server to
> store music and database

Many people do it that way.  The Central Server is also running Linux.
Works fine.

> > We use both Linux and Windows at work.  We have to reboot the Windows
> > servers every month following "Patch Tuesday".  I have to reboot the
> > Linux servers only now and then, following a kernel upgrade.
> I have servers that have run for years on W2K and never needed rebooting.

Sure, if the server is not running any significant applications that
start and stop.  And obviously those servers have not been getting all
the security patches and updates.  It better be on a standalone network.

> > I don't want to spend thousands on Windows licenses and antivirus
> software, I get mine free AND legal

Windows licenses (or anything Microsoft) and "free AND legal" in the
same sentence?  I don't think so.

> >have to constantly monitor/patch workstations & servers, rebuild
> workstations now and then, etc.  Life's too short.
Obviously a Windows environment.

> But your environment may be different - maybe you can lock down internet  access more fully, so don't
> see these things.  Must be nice.
Easy to do with the right environment.

> Our RD network is going to be totally internet free !!
> Not just nice, its wonderful :-)
As it should be.  That should be SOP for any automation system.

My $.0002

Michael