[RDD] Start RD daemons as rivendell user?

Markus Mahner markus.mahner at hurricane-rock.de
Fri Apr 3 07:12:46 EDT 2009

Hi,

I'm trying to make the use of our Rivendell boxes as convenient as
possible. That means, I want the user to be able to just start any RD
application on a fresh rebooted box and having all the stuff in the
background be started automagically.

For sure this (kinda) works, but there is a little drawback: though I
start the application with my rivendell user, the rivendell daemons
are running under the root user. And that makes jackd also running as
root - which prevents the application to connect to jackd...

Btw, the same happens when I call /etc/init.d/rivendell as rivendell
user - the daemons (and, in consequence, jackd) are started as root
user.

What exactly happens when I start a rivendell application and the
daemons are not running? Does it also call /etc/init.d/rivendell?

Is it necessary for the daemons to run as root? If yes, is there a way
to make caed start jackd with a different user? If not, what changes
are necessary?

Running Rivendell 1.2.2 compiled from source on 64Studio3.0b, i.e.
Debian flavour; jackd is 0.116.2, also compiled from source.
$JACK_START is set to "no", $JACK_START_SERVER is set to "1".

regards,
µ.

--
Hurricane Rock Ltd.